Externalizable & readResolve

Trumbo, Derek
Hello,

I had some trouble researching whether or not this was still an issue, so I apologize in advance if this too commonly asked.  I saw a post from a long time ago indicating that readResolve is not called on an object that implements Externalizable.  I am experiencing the same issue (1.4.7).  Before posting code, I figured I'd ask as to the status of this issue, whether it was thought to be fixed, or still an outstanding issue.  Thanks so much!

Derek

Re: Externalizable & readResolve

Jörg Schaible-2
Hi Derek,

Trumbo, Derek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had some trouble researching whether or not this was still an issue, so
> I apologize in advance if this too commonly asked.  I saw a post from a
> long time ago indicating that readResolve is not called on an object that
> implements Externalizable.  I am experiencing the same issue (1.4.7).
> Before posting code, I figured I'd ask as to the status of this issue,
> whether it was thought to be fixed, or still an outstanding issue.  Thanks
> so much!

actually it's the first time, I hear complaints about this. However, Javadoc
of Externalizable explicitly states "These methods (writeExternal and
readExternal) supersede customized implementations of writeObject and
readObject methods." i.e. it would be wrong to call readResolve().

Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Trumbo, Derek wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had some trouble researching whether or not this was still an issue, so
>> I apologize in advance if this too commonly asked.  I saw a post from a
>> long time ago indicating that readResolve is not called on an object that
>> implements Externalizable.  I am experiencing the same issue (1.4.7).
>> Before posting code, I figured I'd ask as to the status of this issue,
>> whether it was thought to be fixed, or still an outstanding issue.
>> Thanks so much!
>
> actually it's the first time, I hear complaints about this. However,
> Javadoc of Externalizable explicitly states "These methods (writeExternal
> and readExternal) supersede customized implementations of writeObject and
> readObject methods." i.e. it would be wrong to call readResolve().

Hehehe, I should have read better. Yes, you're right, an Externalizable may
use writeReplace and readResolve and you're right again, the
ExternalizableConverter does not honor the situation.

Please open a JIRA issue.

RE: [EXTERNAL] [xstream-user] Re: Externalizable & readResolve

Trumbo, Derek
Hi Jörg,

Thanks for your quick response!  Glad to have this confirmed so I know what the issue is.  I'll try to create an issue in JIRA.  Thanks!

Derek