Problem with AIX 7.1 (On XStream 1.4.4)

Uri Shtand
Hi.
Xstream 1.4.4 doesn't work correctly on AIX 7.1
I get the following exception

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: -1
                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.OrderRetainingMap.entrySet(OrderRetainingMap.java:77)
                at java.util.HashMap.putAllImpl(HashMap.java:678)
                at java.util.HashMap.putAll(HashMap.java:669)
                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.OrderRetainingMap.<init>(OrderRetainingMap.java:36)
                at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.FieldDictionary.buildMap(FieldDictionary.java:135)

The problem doesn't happen on older versions of XStream, and doesn't happen on AIX 5.3 or 6.1

Doing some analysis, It looks like the OrderRetainingMap is assuming things about the implementation of Hashmap (which it extends) that are not true in the AIX JRE that we're using (IBM Java 6 for AIX 7.1)
More specifically, it uses super.putAll and assumes that super.put is called as a consequence (which usually happens, but not in AIX 7.1).

I've tried to open a bug, but couldn't figure out how to register to the jira bug tracker (trying to log-in shows the wonderful message: Not a member? To request an account, please contact your JIRA administrators.)

Thanks in advance,

Uri Shtand
400 Bad request

Re: Problem with AIX 7.1 (On XStream 1.4.4)

Jörg Schaible-3
Hi Uri,

Uri Shtand wrote:

> Hi.
> Xstream 1.4.4 doesn't work correctly on AIX 7.1
> I get the following exception
>
> java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: -1
>                 at

com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.OrderRetainingMap.entrySet(OrderRetainingMap.java:77)
>                 at java.util.HashMap.putAllImpl(HashMap.java:678)
>                 at java.util.HashMap.putAll(HashMap.java:669)
>                 at

com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.OrderRetainingMap.<init>(OrderRetainingMap.java:36)
>                 at

com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.FieldDictionary.buildMap(FieldDictionary.java:135)

> The problem doesn't happen on older versions of XStream, and doesn't
> happen on AIX 5.3 or 6.1
>
> Doing some analysis, It looks like the OrderRetainingMap is assuming
> things about the implementation of Hashmap (which it extends) that are not
> true in the AIX JRE that we're using (IBM Java 6 for AIX 7.1)
> More specifically, it uses super.putAll and assumes that super.put is
> called as a consequence (which usually happens, but not in AIX 7.1).
>
> I've tried to open a bug, but couldn't figure out how to register to the
> jira bug tracker (trying to log-in shows the wonderful message: Not a
> member? To request an account, please contact your JIRA administrators.)

You have to create an account on xircles.codehaus.org ... which you should
already have, because you're mailing here ;-)

Yes, please open a JIRA issue. While I don't have AIX, I have the IBM JDKs
myself under Linux.